The Day My Chamadumpa (Colocasia) Curry Became Chutney
There are some vegetables that people either love or completely ignore.
And then there is chamadumpa/ arbi/ colocasia.
For me, it sits comfortably beside potatoes in the list of vegetables that can instantly make me happy. Give me a plate of hot rice, some ghee and a good chamadumpa fry, and I don't think I need much else.
Growing up, I remember waiting for the weekend vegetable market. Amma and Nanna would come back carrying bags full of vegetables, and if I spotted chamadumpa among them, I would immediately be excited.
Of course, before it reached my plate, it demanded a lot of work.
The first challenge was washing it. If you've ever cleaned chamadumpa, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The mud somehow finds a permanent home in every tiny root and fibre. No matter how much you wash and scrub, there always seems to be a little more hiding somewhere.
Then came the peeling after pressure cooking.
I still remember sitting beside Amma, helping her remove the skin while we spoke about absolutely everything and absolutely nothing. School stories, relatives, neighbours, random thoughts, what to cook the next day... conversations simply flowed.
Looking back, I think those little conversations are what I miss the most.
The vegetable was just an excuse for us to sit together.
Then comes the most important step—the frying.
This is where chamadumpa teaches patience.
The oil has to be at exactly the right temperature. Too cold, and everything sticks together. Too hot, and it burns before you can blink. Somehow Amma always knew the perfect moment. Even today, when I watch her make it, I wonder how mothers manage to know these things without measuring anything.
Now let us move to one of my earliest kitchen adventures after marriage.
Or should I call it one of my earliest kitchen disasters?
About a month after getting married, I decided to make chamadumpa fry for everyone at home. In my head, it was a beautiful idea. I loved the dish, so naturally I wanted to make it for the people I loved.
That's how my brain works.
Most people cook what others enjoy.
I cook what I enjoy and lovingly offer it to everyone around me.
Unfortunately, the chamadumpa had different plans that day.
I overcooked it a little. Actually, more than a little.
Then I didn't get the kadai hot enough.
Then I kept trying to save it.
And every attempt somehow made things worse.
What started as chamadumpa fry slowly transformed into something else entirely. Every time I stirred it, the pieces became softer. Then softer. Then softer again.
At one point, I wasn't making a curry anymore.
I was making chutney.
A complete chamadumpa chutney.
The funniest part? It was still tasty.
The not-so-funny part? It didn't have enough salt.
That is another talent of mine.
Even if I pick up the salt box ten times, my brain convinces me I've already added too much. So I reduce it. And then reduce it again. The result is usually a dish that politely requests more salt.
So there I was—a newly married Srishti, proudly serving chamadumpa chutney disguised as chamadumpa fry.
My husband, father-in-law and the rest of the family were kind enough not to say much. They ate it with the same love with which it was made. Whether they actually enjoyed it or were simply being nice is information I have chosen not to investigate.
Some mysteries are better left unsolved.
Even today, whenever I make chamadumpa fry, that memory comes back before the curry is even ready. In fact, this is probably the only dish that forces me to reach for a non-stick pan. I love cooking in steel and iron cookware, but this one recipe has successfully scared me into taking extra precautions.
Thankfully, the curry and I have become friends again over after few attempts.
But no matter how many successful batches I make, that first disaster post wedding remains my favorite memory.
Because sometimes the recipes we remember most aren't the perfect ones.
They're the ones that turned into chutney halfway through cooking.
Ingredients:
- 500g chamadumpa (colocasia / taro root)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Optional: garlic cloves (if you use them)
Instructions:
- Wash the chamadumpa thoroughly to remove all mud.
- Pressure cook for 2–3 whistles.
- Allow it to cool and peel the skin.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai and wait until it reaches the right temperature.
- Add mustard, cumin and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
- Add chamadumpa pieces and fry patiently on medium flame.
- Stir occasionally until crisp and golden.
- Serve hot with rice, dal and a spoon of ghee.
Srishti's Secret Tip for the perfect plate:
The biggest secret isn't the spice powder.
It's patience.
Don't rush the frying process.
Once the chamadumpa goes into the kadai, let it sit for a while before turning it. Constant stirring is usually what causes it to break and become mushy.
Also, if you're nervous after hearing my "chamadumpa chutney" story, use a non-stick pan for your first attempt. Your confidence matters too. π
Srishti's Healing Tip for the perfect plate:
Sometimes we hold on to one mistake for much longer than we should.
One failed recipe.
One awkward conversation.
One decision that didn't go as planned.
Meanwhile, life quietly moves forward, giving us dozens of chances to do better.
Don't let one imperfect moment convince you that you're incapable.
You are always more than your worst attempt. πΌπ
Why you'll love this:
Chamadumpa fry is one of those dishes that instantly takes me back to childhood.
It reminds me of weekend vegetable markets, helping Amma clean muddy vegetables, waiting impatiently for the pressure cooker whistles, and stealing tiny pieces while the curry was still being made.
More than the taste, I think it is the memories attached to it that make me love it so much.
And despite creating a complete chamadumpa chutney after marriage, my love for this vegetable remains absolutely unchanged.
Comments
Post a Comment