Kaju Katli & Two Kilos of Cashews 💛
Kaju Katli. I think it's one of those sweets that almost everybody loves. They're soft, rich, melt-in-the-mouth, and somehow they make an appearance at almost every celebration. Now, am I a huge Kaju Katli fan? Not really. I like it, definitely. But if you give me a choice between Motichoor Laddu and Kaju Katli, I am not even thinking twice. Motichoor wins. Every single time. 😄
In fact, Kaju Katli is one of those sweets where I can probably eat one piece, maybe one and a half if I'm feeling generous. But that's about it. I am not a huge sweet person in general. I enjoy sweets, but I reach my limit pretty quickly. So now you must be wondering, if Kaju Katli is not even your favorite, why are we talking about it in Healing Plates?
Because every dish here comes with a memory. And this one comes wrapped in friendship.
A few days ago was my friend's birthday, and somehow my mind immediately travelled back to our engineering days. She comes from a beautiful place near Srikakulam district in Andhra Pradesh. To this day, I don't know whether they had cashew farms, knew somebody with cashew farms, or simply had unlimited access to cashews. 😄 But one fine day, after returning from her hometown, she handed me almost two kilos of cashews.
Two kilos.
Now imagine the irony. Out of all the people she knew, she decided to give them to the one person who is not even crazy about cashews. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚ I can eat them. I can enjoy them. But I am definitely not the person who would sit and finish two kilos of cashews. But that's exactly who she is. If she loves you, she doesn't do things halfway.
When I think about her, I don't think of one particular incident. I think of four beautiful years. Endless conversations. Random laughter. Sharing things that made absolutely no sense. And somehow, in the middle of all that chaos called engineering, she became one of the people I knew I could count on.
In fact, one memory still makes me smile. We had a traditional day in college, and I am very bad at draping sarees. I was bad then and, honestly, I am still not great at it. 😄 She was staying almost twenty kilometers away from my home in a hostel, and the night before the event I somehow landed there. Till today, I don't know how she managed it, because getting somebody into a hostel is not exactly easy.
The next morning she practically took charge of my entire existence. She helped me get ready, took me to get my makeup done, helped me drape my saree, carried half my worries, and made sure I looked presentable enough to attend the event. Looking back, I sometimes feel she was less of a friend and more like a support system. From carrying my saree to carrying my panic, she somehow managed everything that day.
Even today, she remains one of those people I know I can count on. In fact, when we had our housewarming last year, she was the only friend from my engineering days who came with her entire family. That meant a lot to me. Life gets busy. People move to different cities, different countries, get married, have children, build their own worlds. Yet there are some people who somehow continue to remain a part of your story.
So my dear P, if you ever read this, thank you. Thank you for always making me feel like family. Thank you for always showing up. And thank you for loving me even after I must have driven you crazy multiple times over the years. 😄💛
Now before this becomes a thank-you letter instead of a food post, let's come back to Kaju Katli.
The first successful Kaju Katli I ever made was actually with the cashews she gifted me. There were no measurements, no detailed recipe, no complicated planning. I lightly roasted the cashews, powdered them, added sugar, ghee, a little cardamom powder, and somehow everything worked beautifully. The funniest part was that I didn't know Kaju Katli was supposed to be cut into diamonds. So I proudly cut everything into little squares and felt very accomplished. Only later did I realize that one tiny adjustment would have made them look exactly like the sweet-shop version.
But honestly, who cares? The taste was wonderful.
Now comes the disaster.
A few years later, feeling extremely confident in my abilities, I found a recipe online that suggested soaking cashews in milk along with saffron. It sounded rich. It sounded fancy. It sounded like something that belonged in a royal kitchen. So naturally, I decided to try it.
And oh my God.
The more I cooked it, the thinner it became.
Now somebody please explain that to me. Things are supposed to become thicker when you cook them, right? Mine apparently had completely different plans. I added ghee. I stirred. I waited. I stirred again. I even tried convincing myself that maybe this was just a different version of Kaju Katli. But no. At some point I had to accept reality.
What I finally ended up with was something between a payasam, a pudding, and a full-fledged identity crisis. ðŸ˜
Did I make Kaju Katli after that? Not really. Will I make it again? Definitely yes.
Not because I love cashews that much.
But because every time I see Kaju Katli, I remember a friend who once brought me two kilos of cashews and a lifetime of memories along with them. And honestly, that memory is far sweeter than the sweet itself. 💛
Ingredients:
For the Kaju Katli
- 2 cups cashews (kaju)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
Optional
- A few strands of saffron
- Edible silver leaf (for richie feels)
Instructions:
- Lightly dry roast the cashews for a minute or two. Don't brown them; just remove any moisture.
- Allow them to cool completely and grind into a fine powder. Make sure not to over-grind, or you'll start getting cashew butter instead of powder.
- In a pan, add sugar and water. Heat until the sugar dissolves and forms a slightly sticky syrup.
- Add the cashew powder and keep stirring continuously on low flame.
- Once the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, add the ghee and cardamom powder.
- Transfer the mixture onto a greased plate or parchment paper.
- Let it cool slightly until comfortable to handle.
- Knead gently for a minute and roll it into an even layer.
- Allow it to set for a few minutes and cut into diamonds. Or squares, if you're like the younger version of me and don't realize they're supposed to be diamonds. 😄
- Let it cool completely before serving.
Srishti's Secret Tip For The Perfect Plate:
The secret is not the sugar.
The secret is the cashew powder.
Most Kaju Katli mishaps happen because the cashews are either ground too much or too little. If you grind too much, they start releasing oil. If you grind too little, the texture becomes grainy.
And please don't do what I did once and assume every fancy internet recipe is a good idea. Sometimes simple works best. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚
Dry-roasted cashews, sugar, cardamom and patience. That's it.
Srishti's Healing Tip For The Perfect Plate:
Some friendships don't need daily conversations.
They don't need constant check-ins.
They don't even need explanations all the time.
You just know they're there.
And whenever life reminds you of them, pick up the phone. Send the message. Make the call.
Because relationships, just like recipes, survive best when they're made with consistency, honesty and a little bit of effort.
Why You'll Love This:
- Rich, melt-in-the-mouth texture.
- Naturally packed with the goodness of cashews.
- Requires only a handful of ingredients.
- Perfect for festivals, celebrations and gifting.
- Comes together much faster than most traditional sweets.
- Makes you feel like a professional sweet-maker even when you're not. 😄
Most importantly, it's one of those sweets that instantly takes you back to people, places and memories.
And if you're lucky, maybe it'll remind you of a friend who once brought you two kilos of cashews and enough love to last a lifetime. 💛
Comments
Post a Comment