A Love Story Between Me, Idli & My Family
Is idli my favourite breakfast? Hmm... I honestly don't know. But is it something I don't mind eating every other day? Absolutely yes. And for that, I have only one person to thank... or blame... my husband.
Seriously, this man can happily eat idli every alternate day without the slightest complaint. Of course, he enjoys dosas, pongal, upma and everything else too, but if I tell him we're having idlis again tomorrow morning, he'll happily agree. Thanks to him, idli has become one of the most commonly prepared breakfasts in our home.
Now me? I have rules. My idlis have to be hot. Not warm... hot. They need a generous drizzle of ghee because, according to me, ghee and idli are inseparable. And then comes peanut chutney. That's completely non-negotiable. Tomato chutney is an acceptable second option. Podi? Of course I like it, especially curry leaves podi, but it can never be the main companion. It's just an add-on. And before any fellow South Indians judge me... I've never really been a coconut chutney-and-idli person. I like coconut chutney, just not with my idlis. Somehow, peanut chutney has always been my comfort combination.
The funny part is that growing up, whenever my mom made idlis, I'd immediately say, "No... I don't want them." I never hated idlis, but I definitely wasn't excited about them either. And now? Life has completely turned the tables. I'm the one soaking urad dal, grinding batter and making idlis at home. I still don't think I love them the way my husband does. He has a full-fledged love story with idli. Mine is more like... "I think I'm beginning to like you." Somewhere along the way, that relationship quietly changed.
These days, I make jowar idlis much more often than regular ones. Ragi idlis somehow never became my favourite. I can happily eat ragi dosa, but steamed ragi idlis? They never really worked for me. Jowar, on the other hand, surprised me. When you make it the right way, it's incredibly soft, fluffy and honestly so delicious that you don't feel like you're compromising on taste at all. That's probably why it has become a regular in my kitchen.
Now if you're wondering whether you should make jowar rava at home... let me save you some time. Please buy it online. π Yes, I've made it from scratch. Wash the grains, dry them, pulse them, sieve them, grind them again because you don't want to waste the bigger pieces... trust me, it's a process. Every time I do it, I question all my life choices. But there are those rare days when I suddenly become very ambitious, spread the grains out in the sun, convince myself they're soaking up some Vitamin D before they come back to nourish me, and happily spend the next hour making rava. It's satisfying... but ordering it online is definitely smarter.
One of the reasons I started making jowar idlis more often is because I've been trying to take my health a little more seriously. And honestly, I owe a lot of that to my husband. Left to myself, I'd happily postpone healthy eating for another day. He's the one who quietly encourages me to make better choices, without ever forcing them on me. Looking back now, I realize so many small healthy habits in my life began because of him.
And then there's one memory that idli always brings back... my pedananna.
As he grew older, eating became difficult because his teeth had weakened. So he would gently mash his idlis, pour warm sambar over them and slowly eat every bite. I don't know why, but that memory stayed with me. Today, I find myself doing almost the same thing. Except... I get a little carried away. I mash the idlis, pour lots of sambar, add a generous spoon of peanut chutney, mix everything together and happily eat it with a spoon. It probably doesn't look Instagram-worthy, but somehow, it's one of the most comforting ways I know to eat idli.
Funny how food changes with time. I never really fell in love with idli overnight. Somewhere between my husband's endless love for it, my little journey towards healthier eating, and the memories of my pedananna, idli quietly became more than just breakfast.
It became home. π
Ingredients:
For the Batter
2 cups Jowar (Sorghum) Rava
1 cup Whole Urad Dal
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
Salt to taste
Water, as required
For Serving
Ghee
Peanut Chutney
Tomato Chutney (Optional)
Sambar
Podi (Optional)
Instructions:
Wash and soak the urad dal along with fenugreek seeds for 4–5 hours.
Grind the soaked urad dal into a smooth, fluffy batter using as little water as possible.
Add the jowar rava, salt and enough water to achieve an idli batter consistency.
Mix everything well and allow the batter to ferment overnight or for 8–10 hours.
Grease the idli moulds lightly and pour the fermented batter into them.
Steam the idlis for about 10–12 minutes until soft and cooked through.
Allow them to rest for a minute before unmoulding.
Serve piping hot with plenty of ghee, peanut chutney and sambar.
Srishti's Secret Tip for the perfect Idli:
The secret to soft jowar idlis is a fluffy urad dal batter. Let fermentation do its magic and don't rush the process. And if you're making jowar rava at home, pulse the coarse grains once again instead of throwing them away—you'll get a much better texture.
Srishti's Healing Tip for the perfect Idli:
Jowar is naturally rich in fiber and makes for a wholesome breakfast. Pairing it with peanut chutney adds healthy fats and protein, while a spoon of ghee makes the meal more satisfying and delicious. Healthy food doesn't have to be boring.
Why You'll Love This:
Soft, fluffy and comforting.
A healthier twist on classic idlis.
Naturally gluten-free.
Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Pairs beautifully with chutney, sambar and lots of ghee.
Comments
Post a Comment