Aavada, My Father & A Bowl Full Of Love

Aavada, perugu vada, perugu aavada... they're all from the same family. But in our home, we've always called it avada. It starts with a vada or gare — a savory lentil dumpling that's deep fried until golden — and then soaked in thick curd seasoned with spices. Some people use buttermilk, but I like mine a little thicker. A good avada, according to me, should be soft enough to melt in your mouth and rich enough to make you reach for a second serving even before you've finished the first.

The minute I think of aavada, the first person who comes to my mind is my father. He absolutely loves it. Not likes it. Loves it. Growing up, aavada wasn't something that appeared very frequently at home because making vadas itself is quite a task, and aavada has a few more steps after that. But whenever it was made, my father would be the happiest person around. I think somewhere along the way, I started loving it because he loved it. Funny how food works like that sometimes.

Aavada reminds me of so many memories that honestly, one blog post wouldn't be enough. But there is one memory that always makes me smile. We once had a puja at home and had arranged for someone to cook. Vadas were on the menu. The only thing we didn't anticipate was the quantity. The cook was making tiny vadas instead of the larger ones we usually make. To be fair, I shouldn't complain because I do exactly the same thing. I make the tiniest vadas possible. Cute little bite-sized ones that somehow disappear much faster than regular-sized vadas.

By the end of the function, despite everyone eating well, we were still left with a mountain of vadas. At that point, my father had already lost a few teeth. And yes, if you've read some of my earlier Healing Plates stories, you would know that I proudly take partial responsibility for that situation. Let's just say childhood cricket and accurate aim are not always a great combination. From then on, he naturally started preferring softer foods.

So I looked at all those leftover vadas and immediately knew what I wanted to make.

Aavada.

I took some of Amma's thick homemade curd. By the way, Amma makes amazing curd. Thick, creamy and perfect. Just one condition though — no malai. I know some people love malai in curd. I respect that. I simply don't belong to that club. For me, curd should be thick but smooth.

I soaked the vadas in hot water for a minute, gently squeezed them and kept them aside. Then came my favorite part. Into the curd went grated ginger. Not chopped ginger. I love the flavor of ginger, but I don't particularly enjoy biting into ginger pieces, so I grate it. Then came crushed peppercorns, salt and a beautiful tempering of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and a generous pinch of hing. Once everything was mixed together, I dropped the softened vadas into the curd, sprinkled some coriander on top and let the entire bowl rest for a while. A little time in the fridge makes it even better.

My father loved it.

What started as a way to use leftovers became his dinner. Then his breakfast the next morning. That is the magic of aavada. It has a way of becoming everyone's favorite meal once it sits in front of them.

And perhaps that is why a few weeks ago, when my father turned seventy, aavada found its way back into my life again. We all went out for lunch — both his daughters, our husbands, and my little niece who had just turned six months old. It was one of those simple family moments that somehow become special without trying too hard.

We ordered our food, and among all the dishes that arrived at the table was aavada.

The first person I thought of was my father.

He was sitting right across from me, so I simply handed the plate over.

And the way he relished it... I don't know how to explain it. It wasn't just about the food. It was the happiness on his face. The same happiness I've seen for years whenever aavada appears in front of him.

Lately, I've realized that watching your parents grow older is a very strange feeling. They're still the same people. They still scold you, argue with you, advise you and worry about you. But somewhere deep inside, you start noticing things differently. You start hoping they take care of themselves. You start paying attention to little things. You start praying for them a little more often than before.

I think every child reaches that stage one day.

You may fight with your parents. You may disagree with them. You may roll your eyes at their advice.

But at the end of the day, all you really want is for them to be healthy, happy and around for a very long time.

And maybe that is why aavada will never be just aavada for me.

It will always be my father's favorite dish, a bowl full of memories, and a quiet reminder that sometimes love doesn't need grand gestures.

Sometimes it arrives in a bowl of soft, chilled aavada made exactly the way someone likes it. 💛🌿

Ingredients:

For the Vadas

  • 1 cup urad dal
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for frying

For the Curd Mixture

  • 2 cups thick curd
  • ¼ cup water (adjust as needed)
  • 1 inch ginger, grated
  • ½ tsp crushed peppercorns
  • Salt to taste

For the Tempering

  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 dried red chillies
  • 8–10 curry leaves
  • A generous pinch of hing
  • 1 tsp oil

For Garnishing

  • Coriander leaves (optional) 
  • Boondi (optional) 

Instructions:

  1. Soak urad dal for 4–5 hours and grind into a smooth, fluffy batter with very little water.
  2. Add salt and whisk the batter well to make it light.
  3. Heat oil and fry small vadas until golden brown.
  4. Once cooled slightly, soak the vadas in warm water for about a minute.
  5. Gently squeeze out the excess water and keep them aside.
  6. Whisk the curd until smooth. Add grated ginger, crushed pepper and salt.
  7. Prepare a tempering with oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
  8. Add the tempering to the curd mixture and mix well.
  9. Place the softened vadas into the curd and ensure they are fully coated.
  10. Let them rest for at least 30 minutes so they absorb all the flavors.
  11. Chill for a while if preferred and garnish with coriander before serving.

Srishti's Secret Tip For The Perfect Plate:

Don't skip the warm water soak.

Many people directly add fried vadas into curd, but soaking them briefly in warm water first makes all the difference. The vadas become incredibly soft and absorb the curd beautifully without feeling heavy.

And if you're like me, grate the ginger instead of chopping it. You get all the flavor and none of the surprise ginger bites. 😄

Srishti's Healing Tip For The Perfect Plate:

As we grow older, we often realize that food is not just nourishment.

Sometimes it's care.

Sometimes it's memory.

Sometimes it's simply making a dish softer because someone you love finds it easier to eat that way.

The next time you cook, think of one person who would smile because of that plate. You might be surprised how much healing can fit into a bowl of food. 💛

Why You'll Love This:

  • Soft, creamy and incredibly comforting.
  • A perfect balance of tangy curd and flavorful tempering.
  • High in protein from both urad dal and curd.
  • Great for festive meals, family lunches or light dinners.
  • Can be prepared ahead of time.
  • Gets even tastier after resting for a few hours.
  • One of those dishes that feels special without being complicated.

Most importantly, it's the kind of food that brings people to the table, slows everyone down for a moment, and leaves behind memories long after the bowl is empty. 💛🌿 

Comments

Popular Posts