The Manchow Soup I Never Forgot
There are some recipes that become your favourites because you make them all the time. Then there are recipes that become unforgettable because of the story they leave behind. This Manchow Soup belongs to the second category.
Now before you think I'm obsessed with Manchow Soup... I'm really not. If I'm being honest, I mostly order it for those crispy fried noodles floating on top. The soup is delicious too, of course, but let's just say those crunchy noodles are the real reason I say yes every single time. Some childhood priorities clearly refuse to grow up with us.
The year was 2024, and life honestly felt beautiful. I had started the year with a Goa trip, ticked parasailing off my bucket list, laughed until my cheeks hurt, and even squeezed in another little trip to Vizag soon after. If someone had asked me then how life was treating me, I would've happily said, "Pretty well." Little did I know that life was quietly preparing me for a chapter I never saw coming.
One ordinary office afternoon after a fire drill, a few of us decided to step out for lunch. Someone ordered Manchow Soup, and naturally, I wasn't going to say no to my precious crispy noodles. I'd eaten at that place before, so nothing felt out of the ordinary. But by the time I reached home, I felt strangely cold and unusually tired. I convinced myself it was probably nothing and that a good night's sleep would fix everything.
Well... my body had other plans.
What I thought was a simple case of food poisoning slowly turned into Typhoid, a week in the hospital, and months of trying to feel like myself again. I lost nearly twelve kilos, watched my hair fall more than I ever imagined it could, and reached a point where climbing a single flight of stairs felt like an achievement. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I also made one of the hardest decisions of my life—I resigned from the job I had spent almost ten years building.
That year taught me something I don't think I would've learnt any other way. Healing isn't loud. It doesn't arrive one morning and announce that everything is okay again. It quietly slips into your life through tiny victories that nobody else notices. Sleeping a little better. Walking a little farther. Smiling a little more. Looking back now, I think my body wasn't giving up on me at all. It was simply asking me to slow down, breathe, and let it heal.
A year later, I found myself joining an amazing new company, rediscovering my confidence, and slowly becoming... me again. So whenever I think of Manchow Soup now, I don't remember hospitals first. I remember resilience. I remember second chances. I remember that sometimes our bodies are far stronger than we give them credit for.
And yes... I still steal all the crispy fried noodles from the soup before I even take the first proper spoonful.
Some things in life are meant to change.
Apparently, my priorities aren't one of them.
Ingredients:
For the Soup
2 tbsp oil
5-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-inch ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp spring onion whites
¼ cup carrots, finely chopped
¼ cup cabbage, finely chopped
¼ cup capsicum, finely chopped
¼ cup beans, finely chopped
2 tbsp mushrooms (optional)
1½ tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp green chilli sauce
1 tbsp red chilli sauce
½ tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
4 cups vegetable stock (or water)
2 tbsp cornflour mixed with ¼ cup water
Spring onion greens for garnish
Crispy Fried Noodles
Boiled noodles
Oil for frying
Instructions:
Heat oil and sauté garlic, ginger, green chillies and spring onion whites until fragrant.
Add all the vegetables and stir fry on high flame for 3-4 minutes.
Add soy sauce, chilli sauces, vinegar, pepper and salt.
Pour in vegetable stock and let it boil.
Add the cornflour slurry and cook until the soup thickens.
Deep fry the boiled noodles until golden and crispy.
Serve the hot soup topped generously with crispy noodles and spring onion greens.
🌼 Srishti's Secret Tip for the Perfect Plate:
The secret isn't just in the soup—it's in the crunch. Fry the noodles just before serving and don't be shy while adding them. A generous handful makes every spoonful that much better.
💛 Srishti's Healing Tip for the Perfect Plate:
Sometimes healing doesn't happen because life suddenly becomes easy. It happens because, little by little, you become stronger than what once broke you. Be patient with your body. It's quietly doing far more for you than you realize.
❤️ Why You'll Love This:
Restaurant-style Manchow Soup made completely from scratch.
Loaded with colorful vegetables.
Perfect balance of spicy, tangy and comforting flavors.
Those crispy fried noodles make every bite irresistible.
A cozy meal for rainy evenings or whenever you're craving comfort.
Comments
Post a Comment