Bread Pizza Cups & My Father's Food Predictions 😄
Bread Pizza Cups.
You know what these little bread pizza cups remind me of?
My father and his complete lack of faith in my food calculations. 😄
Now, to be fair, I don't blame him.
Because if there is one thing that has remained consistent from my childhood till today, it is my ability to dramatically overestimate how much I can eat.
I still do it.
Even today, if you ask me what I feel like eating, I will confidently point at three things on the menu. In my head, I am absolutely convinced that I can finish all of them. Then the food arrives, I take a few happy bites, and suddenly I am full.
Not slightly full.
Completely full.
The kind of full where even looking at the remaining food feels like a responsibility. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚
Maybe that is why, when I go out alone, I am very careful while ordering. Not because I don't want the food. I want all of it. The problem is that my eyes and my stomach have never been on the same team.
If I am with family, friends, or my husband, I become brave. I order more because I know I can happily force somebody else to share it with me. But when I am alone, I suddenly become very practical.
Now this habit is not new.
Apparently, I have been doing this since childhood.
And my father knows it better than anybody else.
Ours was never a bread-and-cheese kind of family. Bread itself was an occasional guest at home. Cheese was even rarer. We were more of the rice, pappu, curries, upma, dosa, idli kind of people. The kind of people who would happily discuss mango pickle and avakaya, but not mozzarella cheese. 😄
But every now and then, I would become obsessed with something.
Not permanently.
Just for a phase.
There was a jam phase.
There was a cream biscuit phase.
There was a corn phase.
And then came the cheese phase.
The funny thing was that whenever I entered one of these phases, I behaved as though I had discovered the greatest food item in human history.
I would talk about it.
Think about it.
Plan meals around it.
And most importantly, ask for more of it than I could ever finish.
My father used to laugh every single time.
In fact, he had a standard question.
"So how many days is this new obsession going to last?"
And I would confidently defend myself.
"No, no. This one is different."
Apparently, none of them were different. 😄
A few days later, I would move on to something else, and my father would walk around looking unnecessarily proud of being right.
Years later, during the Corona days, I unknowingly entered another one of those phases.
Cheese.
Not regular cheese.
Melted mozzarella cheese.
The kind that stretches dramatically and makes you feel like a food blogger even when nobody is watching.
Getting groceries itself was difficult during those days, so somehow managing to get a packet of shredded mozzarella felt like an achievement.
The minute it arrived, my brain started working overtime.
I needed to make something with it.
Anything.
Everything.
Now, I didn't have a pizza base.
I didn't have an oven.
What I did have was bread and my trusted appam pan.
And honestly, that was enough.
As I was putting together these little bread pizza cups, loading them with vegetables and an amount of mozzarella that was definitely more than necessary, I suddenly remembered those conversations with my father.
And I could almost hear him asking,
"So, how long is this cheese phase going to last?"
The answer?
Long enough to make these bread pizza cups.
Long enough to make me believe I could eat an entire batch by myself.
And long enough to prove, once again, that my father knew me better than I knew myself.
Because after all that excitement, all that cheese, all that confidence, I think I managed to eat only a few of them before declaring myself completely full.
Some habits never change.
And honestly, I am glad they don't.
Because today, whenever I make these bread pizza cups, I don't just think about melted mozzarella.
I think about those little food obsessions, those endless negotiations, and a father who always knew exactly how the story was going to end. 💛
Ingredients:
- 4–5 bread slices
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup capsicum, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sweet corn
- 1 small tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1–2 tbsp green chutney
- 1 tsp butter or ghee
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper powder, to taste
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Mixed herbs or oregano (optional)
Instructions:
- Using a small bowl or cutter, cut the bread slices into circles that fit your appam/paniyaram pan.
- Lightly grease the cavities of the appam pan with butter or ghee.
- Gently press each bread circle into the cavity to create a cup shape.
- Spread a very thin layer of green chutney inside each bread cup.
- Add onions, capsicum, sweet corn, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the vegetables.
- Generously top each cup with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 5–10 minutes until the bread turns slightly crisp and the cheese melts beautifully.
- Remove carefully, sprinkle chilli flakes or herbs if using, and serve immediately while the cheese is warm and stretchy.
Srishti's Secret Tip for the Perfect Plate:
Don't overload the bread cups with vegetables.
I know it is tempting to fit in every vegetable available in the fridge, but trust me, this recipe is all about balance. Too many vegetables make the bread soggy and take away from that beautiful cheesy bite. Keep the vegetable layer light and let the mozzarella remain the star of the show.
Srishti's Healing Tip for the Perfect Plate:
Make this on a day when you feel like treating yourself for no reason.
Not every celebration needs a birthday, promotion, festival, or milestone. Sometimes making your favorite snack, plating it nicely, and sitting down to enjoy it without rushing is an act of self-care in itself.
A little kindness towards yourself goes a long way. 💛
Why You Will Love This:
- Ready in minutes with simple pantry ingredients.
- No oven required.
- Perfect for evening cravings.
- Crispy on the outside, cheesy on the inside.
- Great way to use leftover bread.
- Easily customizable with your favorite vegetables.
- Loved by both kids and adults.
- Feels like pizza, but with much less effort.
And most importantly, it is one of those recipes that proves happiness can sometimes fit inside an appam pan.
Comments
Post a Comment