Paneer Fritters, Krishna & The Fast That Ended Before Sunrise

Krishnashtami is around the corner, and while the festival always reminds me of Lord Krishna, it also reminds me of one of the shortest fasts in human history. Possibly sponsored by paneer fritters.

My love for Krishna has grown with every passing year. What started as curiosity and admiration during my engineering days slowly became friendship. I even attended Bhagavatam classes for a while, trying to understand Him a little better. Today, whenever something happens—good, bad, exciting, confusing or emotional—the first word that naturally comes out of my mouth is, "Krishna!"

To me, Krishna is a friend. Lord Shiva feels like a father. Every form of Devi feels like a mother. Lord Ganesha and Hanuman feel like brothers. And all animals automatically become my friends. Well... that's Srishti. 😄

One particular Janmashtami, I decided I would fast. At least that was the plan. The little Srishti inside my head had already started fasting emotionally long before the actual day arrived. I was determined to do everything properly.

And then, at four o'clock in the morning, I woke up with a brilliant idea.

I should cook.

Now please don't ask me why. Even today I don't have an answer. The festival was nearly an entire day ahead, I wasn't supposed to eat, and yet my brain somehow concluded that the best way to begin a fast was to make an entirely new dish.

So I decided to make paneer fritters.

I boiled potatoes, mashed them, added a little maida, rice flour, sendha namak and roasted cumin powder. For the filling, I mixed grated paneer with tiny bits of ghee-roasted cashews, some mint and a little seasoning. It was supposed to be one of those simple vrat-friendly recipes.

The plan sounded excellent.

Reality had other plans.

The moment the fritters entered the oil, they started breaking apart. Paneer on one side, potato on another, and my confidence floating somewhere in between. I tried saving them, reshaping them and even converting them into tikkis so I could shallow fry them instead. By then, I had already wasted enough oil to earn a proper lecture from Amma if she had been awake.

Thankfully, everyone was sleeping.

Eventually, something edible emerged from the chaos. Surprisingly, it tasted really good. I offered it as bhog, sat down peacefully, recited Krishnaashtakam and started chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra.

My intention was clear.

No food.

Only devotion.

That plan survived for approximately fifteen to twenty minutes.

Because those paneer fritters were sitting right there, smelling wonderful and testing every ounce of my self-control.

At that moment, I remembered a story that I had heard countless times while growing up. It is about a monkey who decides to fast the next day. To prepare, the monkey gathers all the fruits beforehand. Then it wonders whether the fruits are actually good, so it tastes one. Then another. Then another. Eventually it convinces itself that eating everything today will give it enough energy to fast tomorrow.

Apparently, that monkey and I share the same spiritual strategy.

I ate one fritter. Then another. Then another. Somewhere in between, I started crying. Not dramatic crying. Just guilty crying. Eating and crying. Crying and eating. By the time my family woke up around six in the morning, every single fritter had disappeared.

The bhog was gone.

The fast was gone.

The evidence was gone.

Everything was over before sunrise.

For most of the day, I felt terrible about it. But when I think about it now, what stays with me isn't the guilt. It is the love behind the intention. Whenever I watch Amma decorate Ganapati during Vinayaka Chavithi or prepare Varalakshmi Vratam, she does it with so much affection that it feels less like a ritual and more like caring for someone she deeply loves.

And maybe that is what devotion really is.

Not fear.

Not perfection.

Not counting how many hours a fast lasted.

Just love.

Would I recommend ending your fast before sunrise? Absolutely not.

Would I make these paneer fritters again? Probably not.

But do I still remember their taste?

Very clearly.

Possibly more clearly than the fast itself. 😄💛

Ingredients:

For the Outer Layer

  • 3 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
  • 2 tbsp rice flour
  • 1 tbsp maida (all-purpose flour)
  • ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
  • Sendha namak / rock salt, to taste

For the Paneer Filling

  • 200 g paneer, grated
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
  • 1 tbsp chopped cashews, lightly roasted in ghee
  • Sendha namak / rock salt, to taste
  • Pinch of roasted cumin powder

For Frying

  • Oil or ghee as required

Optional

  • Raisins (if you enjoy a sweet-savory combination)
  • Finely chopped coriander

Instructions:

  1. Boil and mash the potatoes until smooth.
  2. Add rice flour, maida, roasted cumin powder and salt. Mix into a soft dough.
  3. In another bowl, combine grated paneer, mint, roasted cashews, salt and cumin powder.
  4. Take a small portion of the potato mixture, flatten it gently and place some paneer filling in the center.
  5. Seal carefully and roll into small balls.
  6. Heat oil and fry on medium flame until golden.
  7. If they begin to break (like mine did 😄), don't panic. Flatten them gently and turn them into tikkis.
  8. Shallow fry until crisp on both sides.
  9. Offer as bhog, share with family, or try not to finish them before your fast starts.

Srishti's Secret Tip For The Perfect Plate:

When experimenting with stuffed fritters for the first time, always test with one fritter first.

One.

Not ten.

Not twenty.

One.

That single fritter will tell you whether the mixture needs more binding, less moisture or a little more patience.

Trust me.

The amount of oil I sacrificed on Janmashtami has given me enough experience to say this confidently. 

Srishti's Healing Tip For The Perfect Plate:

Sometimes we become so focused on doing something perfectly that we forget why we started doing it in the first place.

Whether it is a fast, a prayer, a festival or even a recipe, don't let fear replace love.

Do it with sincerity.

Do it with affection.

Do it because it makes your heart feel closer to the people, memories or beliefs that matter to you.

The rest usually finds its own way.

Why You'll Love This:

  • Crispy outside and soft, creamy inside.
  • Perfect for festive occasions and special bhog preparations.
  • Mild flavors that allow the paneer to shine.
  • Easy to customize with nuts, herbs and spices.
  • A beautiful vrat-friendly snack option.
  • Pairs wonderfully with chai after the festivities.

But most importantly...

This isn't just a plate of paneer fritters.

It's a reminder that devotion doesn't always have to be perfect.

Sometimes it looks like a sincere prayer.

Sometimes it looks like a lovingly prepared bhog.

And sometimes...

It looks like eating all the bhog before sunrise and hoping Krishna understands. 😄 

Comments

Popular Posts